Tuesday, May 1, 2007

DIY

I am particularly excited about the growing Do-It-Yourself movement. This falls into so many of my values. I feel that we have become such an immediate gratification, throw it out culture that we miss the intrinsic value in creating/doing something for ourselves, families, and communitites. In addition the environmental and economical benefits are very rewarding. Of course, we can't do everything ourselves and some of us have greater strengths is one area than another - but that is where community comes in. I happen to love sewing and have made it a goal of mine to sew as much of my clothing as possible (I am very inspiried by the Wardrobe Refashion site). My husband chooses to do as much improving around the house as he can. This includes consciously trying to use as much recycled and reused materials in building our garden, herb boxes, and future rainwater collection site. Instead of throwing away our "old" things, we donate to local groups that try, inturn, to reuse them.

What I am trying to say, in a very roundabout way, is in DIY, you have control over how much you impact the environment. It also forces (in a fun way) you to think about what really needs to be purchased and what you can do. I love learning new skills and knowing that I don't have to always depend on someone else to do it for me. I also want my children to become conscientious consumers and really value the work they try to do. I am passionate about raising self-sufficient children - not afraid to try. Plus, when you do it yourself, it can be as fun and crazy as you want it to be!

I don't want to leave the topic without mentioning how important it is to donate back your services to your community, no matter how small the effort. I find the more I help other people, the more they help me with things I can't do or just am ridiculously bad at (such as getting my computer to do what I would like - thanks Kelly & Juliette). Having a community also keeps me inspired and encourages me to keep trying, no matter how frustrated I get.

FYI - this just the beginning of my thoughts on the environment!

1 comment:

Angelina said...

I am inspired by the wardrobe refashion site.

I have sewn many of my own clothes over the years and I have to admit that the things I make myself tend to last longer than the things I buy. I can't say that it costs less though. Which I don't think is really your point.

My biggest problem right now is mental. I want to make some clothes for myself right now but I have (as you may have noticed from my blog) some body issues that I can't seem to get past. Clothes don't fit me well, and even when they do, I don't look so good in them. While I am trying to modify some of my habits that contribute to my girth, this is a long road.

In the meantime, I keep telling myself to sew some clothes anyway. So maybe I need to do it.

It can't be more depressing than buying clothes in the store.