Monday, May 14, 2007

Surprise!

I spent most of the day weeding our garden. Due to a lot of rain (and my own lack of attention) the garden had become overrun with them. I had also started tomatoes inside and they were desperate to get in the ground. It turned out to be a very relaxing time. I started in one corner and slowly worked my way across the garden. I planted nine tomato plants (my first year of heirlooms!), peppers, and my first jalepeno plant. Due to a very hungry bunny, our lettuce and spinach have not been as prolific as usual. It was very satisfying to see the asparagus stand tall and the potatoes really taking off. I can not express enough how great it is to have a garden. As has been mentioned in many books (most recently Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver), it is so important for us and our children to realize where food comes from (not the supermarket). There is no better way to connect to the earth and nature then to actual work with it. It saddens me to realize that children think cheetos are a "real" food. I also think that people will respect the environment a whole lot more when they can actual see, feel, and taste the important things it produces. There is no greater joy then seeing my children harvest the fruits of their labor.

The surprise today was finding a little bunny nest! I literally screamed (not because I am afraid of bunnies ;-), but b/c it was so totally unexpected. They were obviously newborn as they had no fur. I really believe that animals just aren't as cute when they don't have their "coats". The quandry is - what to do?! The nest is next to the garden wall, in the actual garden. Now I know why that bunny was so hungry. Obviously I will not kill them, but I am planning an elaborate fence structure to somehow lead them out of the garden and on their way. Anyone have any other suggestions?

2 comments:

Angelina said...

Oh my, I would have screamed from the surprise too! Nothing like a bunch of naked tiny bunnies in a nest to make one shriek. I don't have any suggestions to offer about the derailment of bunny destruction to your garden.

I like to think that part of what made my monday in my garden so deeply satisfying is that I was connecting with everyone else who was outside pulling weeds, planing food, and tending their gardens. It makes me happy to know that you were having such a great Monday in the garden just as I was.

Is this Barbara Kingsolver book you mentioned fiction or nonfiction? I read the Poisonwood Bible which was a pretty gripping book. I'd like to know more about this one.

plaidshoes said...

I wish more people around me had gardens. I felt like I was all alone (except for my curious 3 y/o) with the birds and the bunnies! Of course, my husband had a much easier fencing plan then I did - although mine was much more interesting. He just moved that bit of fence to the other side of the nest. Definately not as exciting as I had planned.

I have only just started the B. Kingsolver book. So far, so good. I am just skimming some parts b/c a lot of what she talks about is also in The Omnivore's Dilemma. What I find interesting about her book, though, is that it chronicles her and her families year of living off the food they produce on their farm and local food within in a certain radius. Therefore, no strawberries in Feb. sort of thing. She also has a lot of great gardening tips. I am curious to see what her assessment is at the end of the book. This, and living off the grid, has been a dream of mine for a very long time!