Monday, October 15, 2007

Libraries

Evidently, today is Blog Action Day. I am not quite sure what this means, but I believe it has something to do with everyone writing about the environment. Since I am such a follower (yeah right), I thought I would join in on the fun! (Short disclaimer, I have a HORRIBLE head cold so this post might not make the most sense.)

One of the things I most love about our church is its wonderful adult and children's libraries. My family makes prodigious use of them. It is pretty much my kids favorite thing about church. As soon as Sunday school is over, they rush to the library. They are well versed in writing their name and number and where to put the check-out card. I love to spend time perusing all the different titles the adult library has - from the obvious theological tomes to current art books. I know many congregations aren't so lucky, so I try to really respect mine.

Libraries can also be very environmentally friendly. It pretty much epitomizes the "reuse" philosophy. I know people espouse paperless environments, but, to me, I will never be a reader of books online. One, it kills my eyes. Two, I find it very uncomfortable to curl up to a computer, blackberry, etc. Three, you still need to use electricity to power these non-paper books. That is why I feel the library is the best option for me. I can check out as many books as I want and know that I am adding very little additional impact to the environment. I will never not buy a new book, but with a library I can read as many books as I want without increasing the amount of trees lost in the process.

Finally, the obvious benefit is it is a lot cheaper!

2 comments:

Bitterbetty said...

Hurray for libraries..
The most fun you can have saving a tree.

mixtapezine said...

hi ya
if you woul like a copy of issue 1 email me and i will send you a paypal invoice
cheers
justine