Monday, November 19, 2007

Bread Sunday

One of my favorite tradition's at our church is Bread Sunday. It is also one of the most popular! I am not sure if this is a tradition in most UU congregations, but ours has has been participating in it for a number of years.

On the Sunday before Thanksgiving, we invite families to bring bread to the service to share with the rest of the congregation. (It is completely voluntary.) Before the bread is divided up, we each give a little talk on the bread we brought and why it is special to us. This year I brought Swedish Limpe bread. It is one of my absolute favorites and I have a great recipe for it! My family has a very strong German surname, but in fact, one of my Grandpa's was Swedish. I never met him, he died when my mom was sixteen. He was also thirty years older then my grandma. He owned a little land and my grandma was a migrant worker during the depression. They fell in love and had six kids. I once asked my Grandma about him and you could tell thirty years after his death she is still in love with him. She told me she was still mad at him for dying on her! I find that type of love really amazing. I have never heard anything but love and admiration for him. I wish I could have met him. So for him I made the Limpe.

I loved hearing all the family stories about the bread they chose to bring. From the silly to the sentimental. I think as a congregation, it brings us closer as we learn a little bit more about each other and where we come from. I had some great conversation's after the service and the kids couldn't stop talking about all the great "snacks". If your congregation doesn't participate in this, you might think about this next year.

During this service, we also take up a collection for our partner church in Transylvania. That area is really struggling with droughts and just keeping the church going. It was another look on how lucky/fortunate we are and gave us an opportunity to help support fellow UUs. It was a wonderful inter-generational and international service.

I hope you all have a safe, happy, loving Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Montessori Mama said...

Our church combines the bread communion with apple cider, yum! I just wanted to say I'm thankful for your BLOG. Keep sharing and thank you. In PEACE
Jennifer

Angelina said...

That is really cool. I would have loved that service. I would have made a country wheat bread because the one I make is really earthy and substantial and I feel like it represents everything that is nurturing.

I have never had Limpe. What's it like? Is it a rye bread?

And now I know just how ignorant I am- I had no idea that UU existed anywhere in the world besides the US.

plaidshoes said...

Thank you MM - I also really enjoy your blog!

Angelina - it is definately my favorite service and that bread sounds wonderful! Limpe is very similar to rye bread. I have this great recipe that uses coffee, oranges, anise seeds and rye flour -so good... I definately wouldn't call yourself ignorant. I am sure a lot of UUs don't know where it all began (in Europe)!