Monday, January 21, 2008

Creation Care vs. Environmentalism

One of my favorite NPR shows is "Speaking of Faith". If you haven't listened to it, you must go there now and download some episodes! In this past Sunday's show, the host (Krista Tippett) interviewed an Evangelical Christian. This person has been an ardent environmentalist for numerous years and has tried to get fellow evangelicals to follow suit. Very admirable. I found the interview to be interesting, but it brought up a very sore point for me. Mainly the phrase "Creation Care".

From what I understand, Creation Care basically is taking care of the Earth because it is (if not directly stated) implied in the Bible as something we are supposed to do. So even if you don't call yourself an environmentalist, at least we are working towards the same goal. What bothers me is the motivation behind it. I will never understand why doing something because the Bible tells you to is OK, even if common sense has already made it obvious. For instance, I don't need the Bible to tell me to protect the Earth. I protect the Earth because it is a marvelous wonder that I hope my grandchildren and on will get to enjoy. I find it disheartening that people need a reason beyond the reality of the situation to make them take action. It is frustrating to watch people demand so much for their children and families, but take no steps to protect their long-term future. I am glad that Creation Care is coming into vogue among Evangelicals, but saddened that they won't do what is right, just because it is.

1 comment:

Angelina said...

This is the first I've heard of Creation Care and I agree with you. It's good if it gets more people to take care of the planet but so sad that the motivation is just because the bible says so.