Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rats prefer Organic

I just read an interesting blurb in Mother Earth News. Evidently Swiss and Austrian scientists offered 40 lab rats biscuits made with organically grown wheat and ones with conventionally grown wheat. The rats preferred organic. If rats don't like chemicals in their food, we shouldn't either.

Earlier today I was thinking about the word organic. I wanted to order some organic berry bushes to plant in our yard. My first thought was about Organic Chemistry and all that meant was that you would be studying things with carbon. Applying the word to specific foods hadn't entered my mind. I then thought about how ridiculous it would seem to somebody in the 1800s to use this phrase. I would imagine that they would be thinking, "well, isn't it all organic?" We have come so far (too far?) in the name of food preservation and progress. It would be very hard for many in my generation to remember a time when you couldn't just buy mass produced bread, have rows upon rows of "snacks" on grocery shelves, or life without high fructose corn syrup. I wish I could say that I eat all the right foods and only buy organic. I don't. But, it is something I am slowly trying to achieve. I look at my children and I know I want them to really understand where there food comes from. I don't want them to think that you can just go to the store and buy whatever you want, when you want and that is ok. I want them to know seasonal cycles and that peaches arrive in Missouri in late summer, not early March. I really believe this plays into our belief of the interdependent web of life. Growing your own food (even just one plant) is an excellent way to begin to live this principle. I hope you all undertake this challenge.

1 comment:

Montessori Mama said...

I will try. A green thumb I am not; because of you, this post and the beautiful photo of busy small hands, I will try.
PEACE
Jennifer