Friday, March 7, 2008

Seeds of Salvation


It gives me great faith in humanity to realize that more than just a few of us are looking towards the future. My husband often accuses me of being a loner who thinks the world is out to get her. That isn't quite true. If I am not careful, I just completely lose my faith in the ability of the human race to work together and make a better future. Therefore, I often fantasize about running to Wyoming (I have family there) and living off the land with the hope that nobody would bother me or my children. Obviously, my husband tries to keep me a little grounded, hence I haven't fled yet!


What brought joy to me today was the fact that some determined people are really preparing for the future. I will always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I heard this segment on Science Friday (another favorite NPR show) and knew these people got it. They have just officially opened the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in Svalbard (islands north of Norway). I have also heard of various other groups trying to collect and maintain heirloom seeds. I love this idea. While so many plants and animals go extinct daily, I appreciate the efforts of anyone trying to maintain the Earth's diversity. Living in farm country and seeing all the genetically modified seeds farmers so proudly display, makes my heart a little sick. We already make enough to feed the world, we don't need anymore engineered seeds. There are not enough long term studies to demonstrate the impact they will have on the environment. The available short term studies are scary enough. Just look at the disappearance of the honey bee. I would encourage all of you to plant a little garden (even one in pots) or support your local organic farmer to help maintain the use of mother nature made seeds!

2 comments:

Angelina said...

I was also so happy when I heard about the Norway seed bank. I want to go visit it, it would be like the ultimate shrine to human hope.

allinarow said...

i'm so glad you're sticking around (vs. fleeing!) I guess you could still blog from wherever, but I would miss seeing you in person!
i didn't know that there were negative studies re: genetically engineered seeds. thanks for that seed of info!