Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One Little Step

Wouldn't it be great if Earth Day was a day people of the whole world took off just to sit and ponder how they personally could make the Earth a better place? It could be a New Year's Resolution of sorts.

These would be mine for this year:

1. Get back to being more committed to veganism. I have been a vegetarian for over 17 years, but keep slipping when I try to be vegan. So much of the Earth's resources would be saved if people ate more ethically.

2. Eat more local and less packaged food. This will be a little more challenging because, while I love to bake, I am not big on cooking.

3. Line dry my clothes more often. Now that summer is coming, there really is no excuse.

4. Be prudent with the air conditioning. This is hard - I grew up in the North and can not get used to these hot Missouri summers.

5. Try to minimize plastic use to when there is absolutely no alternative.

Alright, this is enough for this year. I already try to recycle as much as possible and minimize travel. As it is, this will be quite a challenge for me. I would love to hear any "resolutions" you might all make for this Earth Day!

1 comment:

Robin Edgar said...

You might want to consider observing World Day of Conscience on August 1st, 2008 and all future days when the total solar eclipse "Eye of God" symbolically looks down from the skies upon our planet.