Friday, June 13, 2008

Triskaidekaphobia and the Baby Carrot Mystery

I LOVE Friday the 13th. When I was younger, a friend and I would try to tempt the fates on this day. We looked up every "bad luck" thing you could do and tried to do them all on that day. For instance: walk under a ladder, have a black cat walk in front of us, and put shoes on the table. I am sure there were even more obscure ones, but my older mind has drawn a blank. Obviously, I made it. When I was in college, I lived in room 313 and my phone extension was 1313. If there was any sort of time to be superstitious, this was it. Fortunately, I chose to embrace this number and it has only brought me luck (well, at least not bad luck). I often think of Hermione Granger's wise words "fear of saying a name only increases the fear." That is how I feel about Friday the 13....

Second, it has come to my attention that there are quite of few people out there who believe baby carrots are actually baby carrots. Two good friends of mine recently looked at me in disbelief when I revealed the baby carrot secret. I hope I am not shattering any strong beloved beliefs, but baby carrots are actually "grown-up" carrots whittled down. Follow this link to their interesting beginnings as a way to be less wasteful to a marketing behemoth.

http://www.wisebread.com/baby-carrots-the-frugal-idea-thats-isnt

Have a great Friday the 13!

2 comments:

Little Warrior's Mom said...

Okay, I'm agog ... not at the info, but at the synchronicity. I LOVE 13, not uncommon. Weirder ... I made carrot cake for Bo Peep's birthday two days ago. As I was scraping the carrots (does anyone scrape carrots anymore, or do they just use a peeler?), I was thinking, "You know, most people think those bags of whittled-down carrots are actually baby carrots. I should blog about that and divest them of the notion." (Cross my heart and swear ...)

Ooooh. Parallel thought patterns.

plaidshoes said...

insert "Twighlight Zone" theme.....

Too funny!