Monday, July 14, 2008

Busch Family - How Could You!?!

I moved to St. Louis thirteen years ago. One of my greatest impressions of this new city was how nobody drank Miller products. Why? It seemed so strange to my very sheltered mind. (also strange was that there seemed to by Catholics everywhere - where were the Lutherans?)Didn't everybody drink Miller Lite? I was "gently" informed that Anheuser-Busch is headquartered here and it would be blasphemy to drink Miller products. The more I looked around, the more I realized that AB was everywhere here. Their old-school lighted flying eagle greeted you as you crossed the bridge into St. Louis. Their name is on everything. At first I resisted, but slowly I was brought over to the Budweiser side. You are right, rice based beer did taste better then corn based beer!* Plus, they gave money to everyone in St. Louis! How could you not like them (besides the fact that they are a large corporation....).

This is why I am so frustrated that they sold themselves to InBev. I have previously posted on how our culture constantly tries to reach for "more". Larger sales, more profit, bigger salaries, world domination.... Why can't you just be happy with what you have? AB wasn't losing money. Sure they aren't growing at an amazing rate, but why is that so necessary? Why isn't personal integrity more important? Why is there so much more value placed on constant growth? Constant growth is what is leading to our destruction of the environment, global warming, loss of jobs, loss of stability, loss of community networks. I could go on and on, but I am so disappointed in the Busch family and the AB shareholders for only looking out for themselves. I feel more and more that governments led by corporations are just around the corner.

Tonight (because it is only 9.00am here) I will have a nice Schlafly** brew, and toast all of those people who are going up against the big guys and keeping the craft of brewing alive.


*Actually homebrew tastes the best
** A local, independent brewery

No comments: