Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thank You Chicago!


This past weekend we had a great trip to Chicago. Mr. Plaidshoes and I have been there several times, but it was the first for the kiddos. I can't recommend the city enough, especially for a quick getaway. We are fortunate to have wonderful family and friends who live and work in the area and provided a place to stay and a cool tour through The Shedd. Thank You H & M! We thoroughly enjoyed your company.

It was really interesting to see what the kids would get from the trip. I thought they would love to see all the tall buildings - not so much. They did like all the huge cranes on top of the tall buildings. My reserved middle child instantly felt at home navigating all the cross walks - it was really fantastic to see him full of confidence on Chicago's busy streets. My other two, acted like it was no big deal and just complained about the walking ;-) I would highly recommend visiting Shedd Aquarium (before Sept. if you get a chance b/c part will soon be closed for renovations) and The Field Museum. At The Shedd - don't miss the shark exhibit, definitely worth it. The kids loved the variety of sea creatures. At The Field Museum, if you go in the main entrance, make sure you go below because they have a wonderful children's area near the basement entrance. We only saw a fraction of the exhibits, you could really spend a whole weekend just at this one museum. Another thing I noticed immediately about Chicago was how many families are out and about - especially by the lake. It really is a kid friendly city. There was so much to see and do, you could spend days there.

It was a fun trip and so nice to get out of town for awhile!

3 comments:

allinarow said...

sounds like so much fun! steven & I are thinking of taking a weekend there for our anniversary.

Angelina said...

I've never been. It's always good to find out what cities are kid friendly. New York sure isn't.

Nappy said...

Glad to hear you had fun in my hometown! I was really happy to spend time with you and the family.