Friday, August 1, 2008

Another Side


Lately, I have been sewing and embroidering like a mad women. I love being able to create things. But, having an extremely practical nature, I find it hard to sew something unless it has a useful purpose. I will never be a person that makes cute dolls (even though I love looking at them) unless I have an actual person in need of a doll. I don't make random tchotchkes - despite being inspired by all the amazing creations I see. I find it hard to shake my very practical and "don't be wasteful" upbringing. But.....I am trying in little bits to create things just - because. Above is an example. This is an embroidery from a Hilary Lang pattern. I love her work. I had absolutely no need to make it - but I LOVE it. I embroidered and quilted it in bright colors and bound it in Heather Bailey fabric. I hung it in my sewing room. It brings me such joy. Yes, I could have been working on other things, but it is OK just to take time on work that just makes me happy. I encourage all of you to take time out from all that you have to do and do something completely for yourself. Life isn't all about what you "should" be doing.

No comments: