Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Prayers for Children

I was recently asked by the UUA bookstore to review the book A Child's Book of Blessings and Prayers, collected by Eliza Blanchard and illustrated by Rocco Baviera.

I have found one of the hardest parts of nurturing my children's spirituality is prayer. I did not grow up in a family where prayer was common. I am often very uncomfortable when asked to pray. I literally just don't know what to say. One of the topics most brought up in my congregation's parenting group is prayer and table graces. Evidently, I am not the only one in this predicament.

I wish this book would have been out even sooner! Blanchard has done a wonderful job of collecting a wide and diverse group of prayers. There is literally something for everyone and situation. She has collected Christian, Jewish, Unitarian Universalist, Islamic, Pagan, and Native American prayers. I found that there was also something for every comfort level - which is very important to me. One of my favorites is a beautiful Irish birthday blessing. It will now be included in all our birthday celebrations. I also appreciate that the are even prayers asking for personal forgiveness and for care of the larger world. While this book is geared to children, I found that the prayers are really for every age group. The illustrations beautifully compliment the blessings and enhance the simplicity, but poignancy of the prayers.

A Child's Book of Blessings and Prayers fits in right where my children are at now. In fact, my eight year old has already marked her favorite blessings. She especially liked one the friendship prayers. I really recommend this for every family. It has been very helpful and inspiring.

You can find the book at http://www.uuabookstore.org/

(I would love, though, for Blanchard to continue and adapt and lengthen this book for teenagers and young adults!)


2 comments:

Montessori Mama said...

I look forward to holding this book in my hands. Thank you for sharing it with us!
PEACE
Jennifer
PS I have NOT forgotten your request for affirmation cards they are on their way! Painted and ready, they just need to be laminated and I'll send them off.
:)

Hannah said...

I am a SAHM UU too! Thanks for the blog!