Saturday, September 13, 2008

Music and the Harp

My son recently started taking harp lessons. I can not tell you how excited I am. When I was in elementary school, I also played the harp. Unfortunately, being in a small town in Iowa, there was only one harp teacher and she was mean. I tried to stick with it, but there is only so much a child can take - thus I transitioned to the clarinet. I enjoy the clarinet and still play in a woodwind quintet, but it isn't the same. This past week I have been playing his lap (beginner) harp. I love leaning my head on the sound board and feeling the vibrations of the strings. The sound is so beautiful. I understand why music is healing. It has brought a lot of joy to me this week. I hope it brings him the same joy.

1 comment:

allinarow said...

how cool! All I remember playing in school was the recorder.