Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Church Community

Last year I felt really estranged from our large church. While I still attended, I dramatically scaled back on my volunteer commitments. I felt burned-out and frustrated with certain aspects of the church. I needed a break and time to regroup and refocus on what is important to me about my church. I had some hard feelings that I needed to work through and resolve. I haven't resolved them all, but this past weekend brought back to me why I continue to attend.

In a word, it is the people. This past Sunday we had our Newcomer's Potluck Diner. I was in charge of organizing it (as the new Membership Coordinator). Since I had never attended one, I was a little unsure of what was expected. What I discovered was a core group of volunteers that had been doing this for years and quickly stepped up to help. They were fantastic and open to new ideas of doing things. There is no better bonding practice then washing dishes together! I also had a wonderful time meeting new people and making new, fresh connections to the church. Their energy and excitement was infectious. When I look back to all the frustration of the previous year, being together in community with this small group helped me remember why I made a covenant with my church. Sometimes reaching out and making true connections is what makes all the difference.

No comments: