Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Vegetarian Awareness Month.....

....is OCTOBER!

I have been a vegetarian for over half my life and have not regretted or questioned it at all. Despite growing up in a very meat/hunting loving area, I knew by eleven that I would become one. I vividly remember going fishing and watching the horrible death of the fish I caught. It seemed so cruel and I could not get over the fact that something died just so I could eat it. It lost its life for me. At eleven, it was very overwhelming. It took a few more years to completely transition, but all these years later, I still strongly hold that belief.

I know many people don't have any qualms with animals dying for us, but I would ask you to also look at the environmental cost of eating meat.

"A 2006 United Nations report summarized the devastation caused by the meat industry by calling it "one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global."*

Additionally, "According to Environmental Defense, if every American skipped one meal of chicken per week and substituted vegetarian foods instead, the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as taking more than a half-million cars off U.S. roads. "*

These are pretty dramatic statements, but ones that we should all consider when we decide how we are going to feed ourselves, family, and the planet. I encourage you all to incorporate a vegetarian meal at least once a week into your diet! You might be surprised on how much better you feel.


*http://www.goveg.com/environment.asp

No comments: