Saturday, January 3, 2009

Homeward Bound

I have a wonderful Italian friend. We have been close friends for over fourteen years, thus he feels no problems in telling me when I am being "very American". He would have called me that a few days ago. On Wed. we headed up to Iowa to visit some family for the new year. Every time we leave the city and head into the country, I feel like I am slowly relaxing. I love seeing wide open land. I feel like I can breathe. That there is space. This is what my friend would call very American and not at all understand. He doesn't know what he is missing. How can you explain it? I also know not every American enjoys being in empty space (notably my husband), but I do. I love the quiet, the peace, the non-busyness. I like being with people, but I love going home to a place that is still from humans, but alive with nature. I hope to have this one day.

No comments: