Tuesday, January 13, 2009

We need to Shout!

Every Sunday I greet visitors at our congregation. As Membership Coordinator, one of my main tasks is to reach out and engage visitors in conversation. I am here to help! Lately, though, I have been really putting my MSW degree to use. I am not sure if it has to do with the season, but I have had a lot more people with tears. Mostly they are tears of relief. Relief to have found a place that they can be exactly who they are and be not only accepted, but loved. Tears in finding a supportive community. It has made me realize how powerful an open and welcoming religion can be; how important it is that we make sure that Unitarian Universalism remains a vital and engaging religion. We are needed. We need to make sure that we are part of the religious landscape. So many people are suffering and looking for a home. I am proud to be part of a religion that offers this. I think that is why I work so hard to make sure that people know we are here and that they are welcome. I encourage all of you to be loud and proud about Unitarian Universalism. Please don't be shy in talking about our faith. It is needed and the person you are speaking to might be desperate to find us.

2 comments:

Lanie Jane said...

Thought you may be interested in a giveaway!
Stop by and check it out,and Good Luck!

xo jane

plaidshoes said...

Thanks for the tip. Not much better then free fabric ;-)