Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Don't Forget Yourself

As many of you know, I act as the volunteer membership coordinator for my congregation. While I enjoy this very much, I realized last night, it is pretty much all I have done at church this year. Almost all of my church activities have revolved around some aspect of this work. I have been trying to meet the needs of visitors, members, church staff, but have not allotted time to meet my needs. I should know better. Having been a social worker, I know how easy it is to get so involved in your clients lives that you risk losing out on your own. There is a reason that social work has such a high burn-out rate. I know many of us are dedicated to our congregations and try to make them the best they can be. Our congregations need volunteers, without them, they would not thrive. But, I encourage you to make sure that you partake in something completely for you; that fulfills your spiritual needs and does not require more of you then just being present and participating. Last night, we reformed our theological book club and met again after a very long hiatus. I hadn't realized how much I loved this group and our very lively discussions. I left feeling refreshed and excited. I hope you take the time to find something that refuels you!