Monday, April 20, 2009

Don't Dream it...Be it*

Why is that so hard? I was at our church's women's retreat this past weekend. I attended a workshop led be a woman that I really admire. One of the reason's I admire her is that she is really living an intentional life. And it shows. It shows in how she interacts with others, her body language and the joy she projects. I watched her and thought, I want to be like that! How did she get there? How did she make it happen? She just looks so content and alive with all of life's possibilities. I often feel weighed down by them. I feel like there are so many obstacles to living the life I want. That I don't have the support I need, the time, the money, the opportunities, blah..blah...blah.... I know, pretty whiny. During her presentation, she noted a couple key moments in her life that instigated her need to change. She made the changes (without the support, time, etc.) because she realized the benefits her and her family's life would gain. She did this on her own and it wasn't easy. Her life took a major paradigm shift and she is much happier because of it.

So what is stopping me? (What is stopping you?) I am fortunate to have a great family, health, security (despite the earlier whining). Pretty much everything that lulls you into inaction and makes you think "if only..." If only I had a more land, I could grow most of our food. If only our schedules weren't so busy, I could plan wonderful, healthy meals. If only.....What??! I am the one stopping me. So what if I live in the suburbs, I can still have an amazing garden. So what if we are busy, I could turn off the computer and really plan our meals to work with our schedules. I am my biggest obstacle. I am the one stopping me from living the life I imagined. The presenter (and friend) did it because it was important to her. I need to sit down really think about what is important to me and how I want to get there. It would be wonderful to have a support group, but I can't wait around for it. I can't keep waiting for someone to kick me in the rear and say "get on with it". I just need to "be it".*



*Rocky Horror Picture show

5 comments:

Strange Attractor said...

Thanks for the reminder to kick myself in the rear. I need to figure out what is really important to me and schedule my life around those values.

We really are responsible for creating our own lives.

goodwolve said...

Sometimes life makes you do it (seriously, I know) and sometimes you have to just do it. I think that what happens is we get complacent - whining is easier then doing. I encourage you to do one thing - just one small thing towards your goal. That small step will lead you down the path you really want - and remember that you constantly have to readjust your focus because it is so easy to get distracted.

Bridgett said...

Sigh. I'm with you. There's this nagging voice still in the back of my head, pushing me to do more.

plaidshoes said...

I think half the problem is that I am an "all or nothing" kind of person. You are right, J., I do need to just pick one thing and let that be the beginning. I have been very impressed by all the changes you have made through a very stressful time.

S & B - Let me know how your progress goes or if you find any secret motivations to get you started!

Amber said...

So true :)