Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sinking In

I am suddenly becoming very aware of how busy life is with three kids. When they were all much smaller, I had a great deal of control over their schedules. Now that they are school aged, things are slipping out of my control. I have greater clarity in how hard it is to manage a household where every one seems to be going in different directions. Sure, my husband and I have final say in what the kids are allowed to participate in; but how do you tell one child they can be in baseball, but it would be too much work to also have the other one participate? Why does she get to be in Scouts, but he doesn't? This is on top of all the various school requirements and a husband with a long commute home. Where do you draw the line? We really aren't involved in tons of activities, but when you multiply it by three - things get a little dicey. I don't know how larger families manage, but I am ready to pull up stakes and go hide out in the country!

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

Ugh. Not far now for me. Second girl starts Irish dance next Thursday. I know she's going to eye me with "that's not fair" look in her eyes if I'm not her girl scout leader in two years, as well. Not to mention boy coming up fast enough.

Angelina said...

Having been part of a family with three kids I can safely say that from my point of view it isn't very manageable. We didn't do tons of activities but plenty. I think the saving grace for my mom was that if it was within bicycling distance, I took myself to piano, or soccer, or what have you.

Just let each of them pick ONE extracurricular activity, no more. That's fair enough. Still hard on you- but at least keep some limits on it.

LisaS said...

not much way to avoid it, unfortunately. most of our activities overlap--they both take violin lessons, they both play chess. for things they don't do together, i team up with other moms--trade off carpool duties and that sort of thing. and we don't do anything with Boy Scouts at all. he's on his own with that ...