Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Membership Moment

Following is my May newsletter article:

Membership Moment

The “official” church year will be winding down in the next couple of months. This does not mean that church won’t be happening! Summer provides unique challenges and opportunities for members, and, in particular, new members. How do you stay connected while many activities take their seasonal break? It is not uncommon to feel a little lost during this time. I know when I was a new member and summer came around, I was a little disappointed. I had made many connections in my first year, and didn’t want to lose those over the summer. But, I had no idea how to maintain them. The best advice I can give, is stay involved. Try a new group or start one of your own. Summer services are often lay-led. This is a wonderful way to learn more about our congregants and their unique interests. Perhaps they are similar to yours. Room at the Inn* continues rain or shine and is always in need of help. Did you know Religious Education runs a summer camp? I have participated in this for a number of years and have really gotten to know so many families that I rarely get a chance to talk to at coffee hour! If you like to camp, plan a weekend at B**. with another family(ies). There really are so many possibilities. I encourage you to stretch yourself and try something new. One of the best parts about being in a community is that there is almost always something happening and you are always welcome!

T.
Volunteer Membership Coordinator


*An overnight homeless program hosted weekly at our church
**Land the church owns, used for camping and hiking

No comments: