Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sun Drying

I asked for a clothes line for my birthday. I have been wanting one for a very long time and have finally taken the plunge in hanging my laundry. I am very excited. It has been killing me that we have so much sun (free energy) that I have not been using! Why should I spend money to use my dryer when the sun is just sitting out there waiting for me? Today I did two loads and was amazed at how fast the clothes dried. I have not completely given up my dryer, we have been prone to weeks of rain, but if there is anyway that I can hang it - I will. I did set some ground rules, though. For one, I just can not hang out unmentionables. They will dry on the inside line. I am sorry, but my in-laws and aunt/uncle in-law live on my street and I will not have them see what we wear underneath. Additionally, I will not do laundry on days when my neighbors have outside parties. No one needs to see our laundry hanging while they are trying to enjoy the flowers. I am also not sure what I will do in Winter. I will probably go back to the dryer. I am not such a die-hard that I will wear frozen jeans. Anyway, for those of you interested, I will keep you posted on how the experiment goes. I am sure for older folks, it is just ridiculous that people are rediscovering this very economical way of doing things!

4 comments:

Strange Attractor said...

In the winter, I had determined to do the same thing, but somehow I forgot about it since then. Thanks for the reminder.

Bridgett said...

Unmentionables and cloth diapers go in the dryer (except with the diapers need a big dose of sun bleaching, in which case they get both sun and dryer--they just get too stiff in the sun). Mike hates his jeans air-dried and sometimes I oblige. Otherwise, it's worth, so so worth, the extra ten minutes of work.

Kelly KH said...

We put in a woodstove this year (in our laundry room, no less!) and it dries the clothes very quickly!

Mary Q Contrarie said...

I asked for a clothes drying rack for my birthday. Now I can air dry no matter what the weather.