Wednesday, June 10, 2009

May Garden Update

I realize this is a little late, but if you know me at all, it is amazing that pictures were even taken!

Garden proper: I am very sad to note that is is only doing so-so. I am not sure what is going on, but things are really struggling. The rhubarb and asparagus did wonderfully, but the tomatoes, basil, and peppers are struggling. I don't know if all the straw changed the ph levels, or if it has just been too rainy and cool for good growth. The peas and lettuce are doing alright, but not nearly as well as I had hoped. Unfortunately (for me ;-), the cilantro is once again growing like a weed. My husband is happy about that.

Cooking herbs - They are doing great. The dill is the only one not flourishing. This, I believe, is due to some very determined rabbits. How they are hopping up there, I have no idea.

Medicinal herbs - They are going like crazy. I will cut them back this week. The Valerian is almost four feet high!

Strawberries - They did well and are winding down. We had to fully enclose them due to the birds. We also had a slug invasion so we put out some beer. I am sure they died happy.

Raspberries - This is the first year for the red ones. They are progressing nicely.

Raspberries - This is the yellow variety. It is doing great. I wish you could have seen how sad it looked last year. I can't believe how much it has grown.
Blueberries - not pictured, but also growing well.
Year -to-date: Mixed results. I am happy about the boxed plants, but I am frustrated by the bigger garden. I am hoping with more sun and less rain, the plants in there will take off. I also need to get more weeding done. But really, who likes to do that?!

No comments: