Monday, June 15, 2009

Why Unitarian?

I was asked in the comments of my previous post why I identify as Unitarian and not Unitarian Universalist. This got me to thinking. Originally when I titled this blog, I chose Everyday Unitarian because it was shorter then saying Everyday Unitarian Universalist. Not really for any deep theological reason. If pressed though, I would consider myself more Unitarian than Universalist.

In my own theological thoughts, to me Unitarian refers to the belief in one God, presence, Spirit, Force. Whatever you want to call, I believe there is only one. Even if you look at the trinity, it all refers back to one God. I am not sure if I really believe in God in the Abrahamic tradition, but I do believe that there is something larger then myself. I also believe it is so much larger than me and that I may never truly understand what "it" is. I can only draw on my own experiences and from those around me. It is a mystery of which I don't think will ever be solved - even in death (although I hope it will).

To me Universalism refers to the idea that, regardless, we all will be saved. I can totally get behind this idea. I have never been into exclusion. What I hesitate in, though, is the thought of salvation. I don't really feel I need to be saved. I don't feel you need to be saved. I certainly don't believe you need to be saved by a higher source. Let's say you believe in God. Why do you believe in a God that creates and then feels you need to be saved? From what? If we are created in his image, then does he need to be saved from himself? Then he is fallible? Who saves him? Why go through all this trouble if you are God? I have no idea what happens after death. If salvation is necessary, I hope that through living a purposeful and meaningful life now will allow that me that grace. I do know that there will be generations after me and the greatest gift I can give the future is to make this world a better, more peaceful and sustainable reality.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

How remarkably sane and well said.

SC Universalist said...

>What I hesitate in, though, is the >thought of salvation. I don't >really feel I need to be saved. I >don't feel you need to be saved.

Classic universalists would agree with you. You're already "saved" - so get with the program. By being saved, you're no different than anyone else - you are loved no less than your neighbor.
As for being saved from what? our own folly? despair? wrong living? hatred? plenty of things to be saved from now, rather than waiting for later.