Saturday, August 22, 2009

Way to go Lutherans!

I am very happy to hear that the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) has voted to allow committed, sexually active gay clergy in the pulpit. My in-laws are heavily involved in the ELCA church. In fact, my sister-in-law and her husband are both ELCA ministers. My children attend an ELCA school. This issue has been swirling around the denomination for quite awhile and I am so glad to see that this has finally been approved. I am, though, very curious to see how our local church responds. I am hoping positively. One of the reasons we are comfortable sending our children there is its open and accepting atmosphere.

I am also proud of them for putting "Christian" love ahead of personal beliefs. I have often been astounded about how many Christians can profess so much hate towards a group of people. Where is the brotherly love? Where is the Jesus acceptance of all people? To me, the ELCA is taking a big step in the right direction. I hope all the congregations affiliated with them see this and don't jump to separate without really assessing their Christian values and the real motivations for their dissent. I also hope this encourages other denominations to really look into how they are following Jesus' path. In my opinion, love is not judgemental.

5 comments:

Bill Baar said...

How is ELCA defining sexually active? Active with one partner in a committed relationship? Would this differ than sexually active for any other minister?

plaidshoes said...

I believe it is within a committed relationship. Before the standard was of complete abstinence with the overtone of not being in a "romantic" relationship with anyone. I will have to check about it in relationship to other heterosexual ministers. Obviously it the minister is married, fidelity is expected. I am not sure how it was for single ministers. I'll let you know!

Bill Baar said...

Thanks, looking forward to what you find out.

plaidshoes said...

Bill - After talking with my SIL, she is under the impression that it is within a publicly committed relationship. Heterosexual ministers are expected to be chaste until marriage and then monogamous. The same now applies to homosexual ministers. Since many states do not recognize these types of marriage, a commitment ceremony of some sort is required. Does this answer your question?

Bill Baar said...

It's interesting it seems so vague.

I don't understand how they can do this without endorsing SSM.