Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reunions

My high school class is the only one in our school's history that has not had a reunion. Every year, our town has a big parade that reunion folks participate in. We have never done that. We have had ample opportunity - 5, 10, 15 year markers, but we didn't. Why? Because, besides our small individual friend groups, we DID NOT like each other. There I said it. I can't imagine we will ever have a reunion. Even if someone decided to throw caution to the wind and organize it, I doubt anyone besides the organizer's friends would show up. Sounds very....high schoolish. It is. Yet, I didn't have a horrible high school experience. Nothing beyond the typical angst high schoolers tend to have. I actually enjoyed quite a lot of it and had some great friends. But, I have NO DESIRE to go to a reunion and see the 188 other people I did not get along with. Obviously, I am not alone in this thought.

Why this post? Well this weekend, I am hosting a little get together of a few of the people I did like, but lost contact with. Thanks to the powers of Facebook we have reconnected and discovered we all randomly landed in the St. Louis area. At first, I wasn't so hip to the plan. I really don't like rehashing events. The past is over and let it be! is more my motto. As the day draws nearer, though, I am starting to look forward to it. I am around my husband's high school friends all the time, so it will be weird to hang out with people who share a similar background to me. I am not used to that at all. It will be interesting and I am actually getting excited about it.

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

My HS class was the same way. The first one in the 50 year history of the school to not a a 5, 10, or 15 year reunion. There was a half-hearted attempt at a 16 year (because they realized they missed 15) but in the end, according to an inside source, only 15 people came out of the 49 who graduated. Ugh. Same reasons. We just didn't like each other.

plaidshoes said...

Bridgett - so glad to see that my class isn't the only one! I was beginning to think we were just too dysfunctional ;-)

Bridgett said...

Oh, WE were dysfunctional!!