Monday, October 26, 2009

The Anger is slowly slipping away

This past weekend, my daughter and I went for a little getaway - some mother and daughter time at a YMCA lodge not too far away. It was beautiful. Trout Lodge is on the eastern edge of the Ozarks that caters to family gatherings. The drive was full of turning leaves and rolling hills. When we arrived Friday night, we were exhausted and hungry. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and immediately set us at ease (and with some food!). We awoke Saturday to a gorgeous fall day. M and I spent the whole day outside geo-caching, orienteering, hiking, and paddle boating. When we needed a break, we learned how to make marshmallows and spent some time at the arts & crafts center. It was such a wonderful day, spent with one of my favorite people. M and I have decided that we will now have to have a yearly "girl adventure". It was much needed for both of us.

While there, I could feel a lot of my anger towards religion start to melt away. I don't know why, but I could feel myself letting go. Maybe it was all the fresh air and just being away from everyday pressures. The scenery was certainly inspiring. It was good to be outside and exercising. The company couldn't have been better. It was such a nice break and release. M and I just had fun without feeling obligated to anything else but enjoyment. During one break time, we worked on mosaics. I stared at my square and couldn't figure out what picture I should design. Honestly, the only thing that came to me was a chalice. So I went with it. I can certainly say that this is not what I would have made a couple of weeks ago, but now, it was just right. I feel like I am again seeing some positives in UU and am feeling much more open to receiving them. Over the last couple of months, I have been sporadically attending a new UU church, but have felt myself holding back from fully engaging and committing. I think I am now ready to slowly start testing the waters and give UU another chance.

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

You know, that's beautiful. I love when something just works on us like that. A chalice.

Shannon said...

:) Its lovely, and whenever anger melts away it is a good thing. Glad you are testing the waters if it feels good!

~Easy said...

I just found my here from Bridgett's. As a fellow lapsed Unitarian, I'm intrigued by what little I've seen. I'll be back to peruse in depth.