Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ma Ingalls would not be impressed....

with my Winter pantry. I have been rereading Little House in the Big Woods and am realizing how much of the pioneers summer was spent getting ready for winter. Pretty much all of it. Most of the day was spent planting, hunting, preserving and preparing food. I look at my day and realize how much of it is not spent doing that. I grumble if it takes more then a half hour to get dinner ready. Driving to get my CSA share can feel like a hassle. I think I have accomplished a lot if I made homemade bread or did a little canning over the weekend. In reality, though, my life does not center around food. How lucky I am. Great parts of the world still live this reality and I often take it for granted. I wonder what life would be like in the US if we really were responsible for growing and preserving most of our own food. I have a suspicion it would slow down. Working with your neighbor would become a necessity, not an inconvenience. Finding a bee hive (like Pa Ingalls did) would become a new kind of excitement and appreciation. It certainly wasn't an easy living, but I feel that people really understood the value of work, community, mutual reliance and the preciousness of everyday. Survival and growth were dependent on these values.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

We finished Big Woods last night and I cried. Like every time. I'm such a baby. But you're right. My 6 jars of pickles and some jam? Not quite the same thing.

Shannon said...

hey- i hear ya and raise you one dose of lack of appreciation. I can't even seem to keep my cupboards full enough to feed my family throughout the week these days. my ancestors are shaking their heads in shame fo sho!