Friday, November 6, 2009

Halloween Pet Peeve

I love Halloween. It is one of my favorite Holidays. I really LOVE costumes. I often think that I should have become a theatre costume designer. I appreciate it when people put a lot of effort into their homemade costume. What I can't stand is the need for people (sadly, mostly women) who feel the need to tart up their costume. Why can't you just be a bat? Why does it have to be a "sexy" bat? Who finds a bat sexy? Who finds a kitten sexy? Do you have such low self-esteem that you have to somehow how portray an animal as sexy? I find it very disheartening, especially to all the little girls looking at these overly adult costumes as something to aspire to. There are plenty of appropriate and fun costumes to be without having the fear of literally falling out of them*. Leave the risque stuff for the private party.



*Costumes I made my husband and I have worn: Fidel Castro & Imelda Marcos, Wendy & Dave Thomas, Two-faced politician & Suffragette (election year), Teletubbies

6 comments:

Elizabeth J. Barrett said...

I'm with you! I don't know why every costume seems to show so much skin. We have a huge outdoor Halloween celebration here in Madison. Every year, the street is littered with young, scantily-clad women shivering in the wind, whining "Can we go now?" They don't have a good time because -- they had to dress as Malibu Barbie at the end of October in Wisconsin.

Juliette said...

Gah! Yes. And the ones that really freak me out are the totally inappropriate combo of weird and sexy. Like sexy zombie and sexy mummy. Really, dead bodies just can't be sexy, no matter how skimpy they are.
On the other hand, we did see some very cute home-made costumes. Those are the ones that make my night!

Bridgett said...

Didn't have any sexy anything down this way. No adults dress up, really, except for a couple of families in theme (like Harry Potter family, that was awesome). My pet peeve is nothing surprising--I don't like 22 year old men trick or treating in groups, sans costumes, sans even a bit of shame for begging for candy at my doorstep.

Montessori Mama said...

I just snarffed my english muffin! This was a great post friend. Ha Ha
I LOVE the way you write.
My personal Halloween pet peeve:
people who hand out tooth brushes. I mean seriously?
Thanks for making me giggle and THINK, that's why I love reading your stuff.
PEACE to you and yours,
J

Anonymous said...

The truly sad thing is that you can find inappropriate clothes for your 4-year-old, and thong underwear at Limited, Too (at least that's what I heard, I don't go to the mall if at all possible). It's not just Halloween costumes, and it starts at such a young age.

susan

Rebecca Hecking said...

I hear you, and agree completely. I'll add my pet peeve of adults coming to our doorstep without a costume and demanding candy!! They get angry when I turn them away. Sheesh. A related peeve is when people try to get candy "for the baby." The BABY is an infant who has no teeth!! Aaahhhh!!!

btw, I love your costume ideas! How cool.