Saturday, December 12, 2009

For the Love of Winter: II

Last night I was walking Daisydog. It was a beautiful clear night, with the temperature around 30 degrees and no wind. It had been awhile since we had a good long walk and I was really looking forward to it. As we hit our stride and I got past the mesmerizing displays of Christmas lights, I finally looked up. When I did, an old friend greeted me. Orion. I love looking at the stars. It is one of the reasons I prefer to walk at night. Unfortunately, I am awful at recognizing constellations, except for the most obvious ones. Orion is one of those. To me, Orion is a Winter touchstone. Whether global warming throws us all off and it rains instead of snows, is hot instead of cold; Orion will still be there. I love that the earth will still rotate and Orion will always be ready with his bow and arrow. It is an old friend that I can look forward to every year. I love it for that.

1 comment:

Angelina said...

That's really a lovely thing to look forward to. The only constellation I have ever been able to locate and remember were the big and little dipper.