Sunday, December 27, 2009

Just What We Needed

The holidays found us in snowy, blizzardy Iowa. We arrived at my mother's house on Christmas Eve after spending the previous couple days at my fathers. We were all a little worn out, in addition to having or getting over colds. Since we had already celebrated two Christmases, it just didn't feel like Christmas Eve. I really wasn't feeling well, but felt that we needed to do something to celebrate the season and get us into the spirit. Plus, I really like going to services on Christmas Eve. It is just what you are supposed to do. Everyone else was pretty ambivalent, but, in the end, I insisted. Thanks to the internet, I was able to find the schedule of the UU church in the area - the Unitarian Universalist Society of Black Hawk County. After some grousing from the kiddos, we managed to make it there. And I am so glad we did. It was exactly what we needed. Due to the not-so-great weather, there was a small turnout for the late service, which made it even more personal. Everyone was so welcoming. We sang carols with brass accompaniment, heard stories, and lit candles. One side of the sanctuary is a glass wall and you could see the big snowflakes falling. There was even a "Christmas miracle" in that due to some odd light reflections, a cross appeared on one of the walls. It was one of those perfect moments that so rarely come our way. I am so thankful we got to be there. I hope you were able to experience a lit bit of magic this season, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful. Isn't it nice when something you kind of dread turns out to be so wonderful? I have never been brave enough to go to a different UU church when I have been traveling. Kudos to you for branching out of your comfort zone. Here's to peaceful holidays.