Friday, January 22, 2010

Disappointed

I am not sure why, but I am really disappointed that Charlie Clements is stepping down as head of the UUSC. I actually met him a couple of years ago on a Regional Coordinator retreat in New Orleans. While he wasn't an overly talkative person, you really could see in him the depth of feelings he had for human rights issues. He has been on the front lines and knows how important continual/sustained work is in this field. I came away with the feeling that the UUSC was in good hands with a person who has a clear vision of what needs to be done.

According to the UUSC announcement:

"Charlie Clements, UUSC president for the past six-and-a-half years, will be stepping down from his role as the organization's chief executive officer to accept a new position as head of a major human rights research and teaching institution at Harvard University."

I imagine this is an amazing opportunity for Clements. If you look through his biography, he is more then qualified to head this institution. It is certainly a gain for Harvard. But, I feel myself let-down by Clements. I know people come and go all the time, but I thought Clements was really devoted to the UUSC. I like that it is an independent Unitarian Universalist organization that is really making an impact out there. We are a small, but dedicated group headed by a fearless leader. Talking with him and seeing his commitment inspired me to continue volunteering for the organization. It just makes me sad that people often move on to bigger and better opportunities. Maybe that is just human nature, but what is wrong with staying where you are? Commitment to an organization says volumes about its people and work. I can only hope that Clements made the right decision for him and the organization. Right now, though, I am just disappointed.

No comments: