Thursday, January 7, 2010

No Impact

There is no way to escape it. Just by being alive we are making an impact on this Earth. Sometimes that thought overwhelms me. An argument could be made that every living being makes an impact and that is just how it is. I just suspect, though, that ours is disproportionately larger then the rest of the animal and plant kingdom. I try to minimize my impact, but I get lazy. Alright, I admit it, I have thrown away a glass jar - but it, in my defense, it was old food that had recently become re-animated. I am sure if I opened the jar it would have come after me...

I am seriously contemplating taking this challenge. I am not sure how well I will do, but I think it is a good, positive way to start 2010. If I do, I will try to blog about it as I go. If you take up the challenge, let me know, I would love some moral support!

2 comments:

Modern Girl said...

Wow that looks challenging. Personally, I agree with the "small steps towards lifestyle changes" approach rather than huge immediate changes that are set up so if you fall off the wagon once it's a fail.

My UU Minister wrote in this month's newsletter a great quote: "Trying again is what January is all about. I'm not going to make any New Year resolutions, but there are a number of projects that I am going to try again.[...] If I fail in any of these endeavors (and I most assuredly will) I will not beat myself up with guilt, but will notice the problem. Say oops. And try again."

I think if you reduce the amount of glass jars you throw out that should be commended, and you shouldn't feel guilty over the one that you did chuck. :)

Personally for me, last Fall I bought all fair trade, homemade, second hand local artisan gifts for the holidays, which was great because I had never done so before. Now I'm much more aware of the more eco-friendly network in my community. This year, my goal is to cut down on buying things I don't need. Note, 'cut down', not 'stop', I'm human. :)

plaidshoes said...

Modern Girl, I really like what your minister wrote. When I saw the challenge, I looked at it as a way to reinvigorate my efforts. I am with you on the small steps theory. Like your minister said, I will most assuredly fail in some aspects, but hopefully I can succeed in at least some small way. You are right, we are just human ;-)