Sunday, April 4, 2010

Like It Or Not

At Easter services today, the Minister said something that really stuck with me. Whether you like it or not, Spring is here - a resurrection of sorts has begun. After the long dark winter, the Earth has come back. Many UUs cringe at the word resurrection. It is such a weighted term, with deep meanings, that we don't think of how it can apply to our lives. Sure, I don't believe in the resurrection of Christ. But all I have to do is look outside and see that a resurrection is happening all around me. The world is waking up after a long rest. It is hard not to feel the joy in the brightening of the world. I would say to my fellow non-Christians, go with it. Celebrate this reawakening. Resurrections come in many forms and honoring the one that speaks to you is one of life's great gifts.

4 comments:

Bridgett said...

That was the homily at our vigil mass this year: Easter is...Easter is when the doctor says your cancer is gone...Easter is when your son calls you after a 5 year estrangement...Easter is (etc).

findingmygrounduu said...

Resurrection does feel a bit loaded after leaving Christianity, and my transition to Easter as a UU has certainly focused on spring as rebirth and reawakening.

Easter dinner (my first officially divorced) I found this writing from Molly Fumia in our dinnertime blessing book: "Resurrection. The reversal of what was thought to be absolute. The turning of midnight into dawn, hatred into love, dying into living anew." That hit me hard -- and I needed that hit.

Here's my take on the subject: http://findingmygrounduu.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/quiche-and-resurrection/

Montessori Mama said...

my son called Easter the "Candy Holiday" and it made me sad. Maybe it's my Catholic upbringing...?
And I LOVE your new chalice picture.
PEACE and love,
Happy Spring dear friend.
Jennifer

plaidshoes said...

Jennifer - I can see why he calls it that! Thanks for the compliment on the Chalice. It is a felt one I made for the Spirit Play classroom at church. Now the little ones can "light" their chalice.