Thursday, April 1, 2010

Yeah, I'm that Cool

My cool factor just went up 1000%. I have officially joined the Deutschmeister Brass Band. I am totally excited about it. Many of you might wonder, "What, I didn't know she played a brass instrument". Well, I don't. But, every good German Polka band does need a few clarinets! I went to my first rehearsal last night, and it was a blast. We meet at the German Cultural Center in the city. It is a very eclectic (some may say eccentric) group of folks who love playing traditional German and Czech music. Although, they do sneak in some more modern polka/drinking music. I would say the age of the players range from 16 to 80, with some being in the band for thirty years. As an added draw, beer is provided. I was really nervous, but everyone was nice and I managed to hold my own, despite the crazy speed of some of the songs. I still play in the woodwind quintet, but it is fun to branch out into a whole new genre of music. This is a little know fact, but I got my very first speeding ticket because of Polka music. We have a long history together. The best part is that we will be playing in some of the local Maifest and Oktoberfest parties. Should be a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Juliette said...

Oh my goodness, I love polka music! I can't wait to hear you. Seriously, you totally have to keep us in the loop and let us know every time you are playing!!!!!

plaidshoes said...

I will totally keep you in the loop! I am dorkily super excited about it all. ;-)