Sunday, May 2, 2010

Back

We did it. Yes, I was in a complete panic due to all the storm warnings and tornado watches, but we did it and survived! Was there drama?-yep. Was there sleepless nights and tears, definitely. But there was also a whole lot of fun and learning. Overall, I would definitely say it was a success. I am incredibly thankful that my Junior troop went with the Brownie troop. Their leaders know a lot about GS camping and I learned a ton from them. I feel a whole lot more comfortable using a GS site now. I also realized there is a huge maturity difference between fourth and second graders. I have to admit that I don't think I will ever take a group of second graders camping again. The four we had in our group were a challenge enough. I know it is because they are young and most of them new to camping, but the amount of extra work they were for the leaders will discourage me from taking them again. But that is me. I am sure there are a lot more patient and understanding people who can do that and I will let them ;-) I was very pleased, though, at how well the two troops and age levels worked together. They really pulled together as a team and made sure everyone felt included and had fun. I am very proud of them for that. I also discovered that I am an AWESOME fire builder. I wish I had a picture, because the fires I built were beautiful. I also had fun teaching the girls how to build them and hope that they at least remember some of my lesson. It was a good, growing experience for everyone involved and I think I may now even attempt to camp as a family. Maybe.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

Yay!! Our trip is in two weeks and I hope it goes as well. I thought of you guys when the sirens went off here...

plaidshoes said...

Bridgett, we got super lucky that the sirens didn't go off by us. Some of the girls had a hard enough time with the thunder and lightening, I can't imagine the panic that would have ensued with sirens and trying to get them all the a shelter! Thankfully, Saturday was clear!