Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Parents, Take Some Time

Last night my church had an Religious Education Town Hall meeting. It was very interesting, but one theme that emerged pretty quickly, was that most parents are uncomfortable answering their children's religious/spiritual questions because they don't really know themselves. Sunday school happens for about one hour a week. Teachers can only do so much in that short of time. Therefore, you, the parent, are your children's main spiritual guide. Children look up to their parents, and, hopefully, really value your opinion. I want to encourage all of you to take some time and invest in YOURSELF and your spiritual development. Read books, participate in any Adult Education your congregation provides, join a Chalice Circle, or devote time to daily meditation. The best influence you can have on your child in setting an example of what lifelong spiritual development in about. It is OK that you don't know all the answers (who really does?), but by trying to understand what you truly believe/feel can go a long way in easing difficult discussions with your child. Giving them the gift of faith, needs to begin by giving yourself the gift of faith.

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

Your quote at the top: Fr. Dominic Garramone was my first step into becoming a Benedictine Oblate!!

plaidshoes said...

He is one of my favorite people. I met him once at a book signing. To me, he is a wonderful example of what it means to live your faith.

Bridgett said...

More on topic to this post, your last thought here is what happened to me when I started taking classes to be a catechist for the Atrium--Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, which is a Catholic montessori catechism. The classes take a year and a ton of work, and I found myself just overcome with the information and joy and wonder of it all. Trying, and failing, to express this to one of the instructors, she nodded at me and said, "Catechesis training is a gift first to yourself." It really was. Having taken it, I feel like I have such a deeper faith and the ability to express it to my kids.