Friday, June 11, 2010

Baking Bread

Breaking Bread With Father Dominic

Today I took the kids to a baking class with Fr. Dominic Garramone. You may remember him from the PBS series "Breaking Bread with Father Dominic". We make his pizza crust almost every Friday. He was giving a week long course at the Aquinas Institute in St. Louis. I wish I could have taken the whole series, but am so glad that we made it to the kids class. We had a blast! I didn't realize how funny he is. I was nervous about taking the kids, mostly because I had no idea what to expect. I needn't have worried. He had the kids laughing and helping right away. He was very approachable and made sure every child was included. They made peanut butter bread and mini pizzas. It was all super yummy. If he comes back next year, the kids have already said they want to go back (even if we make the same thing!). It has inspired all of us to get back into the kitchen.

We then headed over to the Art Museum. One of the things I love about St. Louis is that the museums are FREE! You can just go for an hour and not feel like you have spent a ton of money and then left early. We have our favorite exhibits (knights, mummies, and modern art) that we always head to. The rest is just as we feel like. Since it still hadn't started raining, we walked around Art Hill and the reflection pool in front of it. A very good day. Now I am exhausted and ready for a quiet night.

No comments: