Tuesday, June 22, 2010

In The Pulpit

I am starting to get nervous. I have to give the sermon in a couple of weeks at our new UU church. Last night, I stayed up late (for me) to try to get a rough draft done. I am afraid that it is a little too rambly with not enough substance. I very much want to make sure that those who come to hear it, walk away pondering and growing from what I say. I just don't want them to feel like they have wasted their time. It is a lot of pressure. I am glad I only have to write one, I can't imagine how hard it must be to write meaningful sermons week after week! I also need to get the readings together and something to say during the children's time. And the music! So much to plan. Please send some positive energy my way - I could use it!

4 comments:

Strange Attractor said...

You have a couple of weeks and can re-write as much as you need until you reach just what you want to say. You will do great.

I would love to read your sermon; do you plan on posting it?

Bridgett said...

I can't imagine doing it week after week either--I've done two, total, homilies in advent prayer services. And it's nerve wracking! Good luck!

Heather said...

Last time I spoke at our fellowship (a few months ago) I felt like I really bombed. But then this past Sunday someone told me that she and her partner are STILL talking about what I said, and how meaningful it was. Very strange.

When I used to preach more regularly, I learned that people experienced my words in a wide variety of ways, and that my only task was to prepare as well as I could, and then let go.

Anonymous said...

Your blogging enriches my life, so I know you have a lot of spiritual wisdom to share. I'll send peaceful thoughts your way as you work & wait for the structure to emerge. I'd love to read the sermon as well. xo Mary