Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Just For Me

Tonight, the German band I play in performed before the start of the Sound Of Music production at a local outdoor theatre. These past few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity. Lots of fun, but exhausting. Tonight, I realized that playing in the band is one of the only things I do just for me. I was tired and didn't really want to go out tonight to perform, but I am so glad I did. It was fun, relaxing and meditating. I am not the best player in the band. Because of that (and the general relaxed nature of the band), there is no pressure. I can just be in the moment and enjoy the experience. I felt myself unwind and my mood greatly improve. Playing in the band is completely outside of everything else I do all day. As parents, it is easy to become so wrapped up in our families, that we lose a little bit of who we are as individuals. There is nothing wrong with loving to be with our spouses and children, but taking time to develop ourselves only adds to the greater whole. I guess what I am saying to all of you, is make sure you do something you love, just because YOU love it - not because you are expected to, need to, or feel obligated to. We all deserve to live a complete life.

4 comments:

Bridgett said...

Ok, you play in a German band that played at "an outdoor theater" production of The Sound of Music. You played at the Muny?? My goodness!

plaidshoes said...

It was at the Muny, but not as exciting as you think. We played at the Lichtenstein Plaza - it is the area in the upper lot where people go into the free seats. It was actually a lot of fun and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. We were really into and surprised when we had to stop b/c the show was starting. We were the "opening" band ;-) The night before, my daughter's German dance troop performed there. It has been a very Deutsch week!

Michelle Reynold said...

:Tonight, I realized that playing in the band is one of the only things I do just for me." I can completely relate to that from personal experience.

Anonymous said...

thanks T. I've been trying to figure out how to fit in that just for me thing this fall. thanks for reminding me that I shoudln't give up on that.
p.s. like your new blog look!
Mary