Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Heart Asks Pleasure First

Admittedly, I don't have a ton of life goals beyond the usual: raise well adjusted children, make a difference, etc., etc. There is, though, one purely individual goal I have. It is to master the song "The Heart Asks Pleasure First" from the movie The Piano. I love the Gothic romanticism of that movie and its amazing music. The Heart... is by far my favorite. I have been working on the song off and on for years. I now have a little more time on my hands and I think I will re-devote a little time each day until I can play it perfectly. Alright, it may never be perfect, but at least passable. I am not a great piano player, so I think it is ok not to shoot for complete perfection. I actually have the songbook for all the piano pieces and I just love the titles: Big My Secret, The Mood That Passes Through You, Deep Sleep Playing, Silver-Fingered Fling, The Attraction of the Pedalling Ankle. This score was one of Micheal Nymans's best.


No comments: