Saturday, August 14, 2010

Putting-Up

I have been trying to get back into the groove of caning and preserving. The Philly trip and wet basement have derailed that a little bit. Before I left, I canned some green pepper jelly and blackberry jam. I also dilled carrots and dried tomatoes. I plan to can one more batch of the jam and make some jalapeno jelly (yum!).

I also made up a batch of spaghetti sauce and a bunch of pesto (pictured is just some of it). Both of which I wish I had more of. I am thinking I may get one more double batch of pesto from the garden. Fingers crossed.

I have also started drying the herbs. Pictured is oregano and underneath that is sage. I also have tarragon, rosemary, and lavender to dry. The darn bunnies ate all my parsley. I am very annoyed with them this year. They also happily munched their way through a bunch of my flowers. grrrr. I can't believe people keep them as pets!

We have also had a bumper crop of hops. I will harvest that shortly and it will soon become some awesome beer ;-). I am planning on planting some fall crops, but wow - I am just not so motivated. I think the hot weather and various other stresses have zapped all my energy. Hopefully I will rally soon!

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

Fascinating! I've never managed to grow carrots, and I can't imagine having enough to can...and yes, jalapeno jelly is the bomb! All I have left is salsa verde--tomorrow. Then I tear up the cucumber plants and put down spinach. Still no tomatoes to speak of...