Saturday, October 30, 2010

Interesting Church Fact

After the kids played at Chapel on Wednesday, I was talking with my sister-in-law who is one of the Ministers at the church. She was tidying up after the service and we were in the Sacristy. We were talking about various theological ideas, mostly Catholic vs. ELCA Lutheran. Since my kids go to a Lutheran School, were baptized Lutheran, and my oldest has had First Communion, I have been trying to learn more about Lutheranism. Sister-in-Law has a great sense of humor and was telling me how the sink drain in the Sacristy goes directly to the ground. Evidently, Jesus does not go into the sewer. I guess I had never thought about how they dispose of the Holy Water and Wine. I imagine that this is similar in Catholic churches (Bridgett??). I chalk this up to things you don't think about as the average lay person!

4 comments:

Bridgett said...

That's correct, although we don't use a sink anymore, for whatever reason. We finish the wine, and then dilute it with water--once diluted, it's fine for the drain.

When I bring home church linens to launder, I have to rinse everything in clean water first, and then I water my garden with that. THEN it goes into the washing machine.

I think it's one of those goofy superstitious things myself, but I respect it when I do the laundry...

plaidshoes said...

I wonder why diluted wine is ok? Interesting about the linens! I had never thought about that either. I will have to ask SIL about what the Lutherans do!

Bridgett said...

Once it's mingled with water, I guess it kills the magic....

~Easy said...

Interesting to find a fellow UU via this particular post :-)