Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Musicality

Today, the two older kids played harp at Children's Chapel (the weekly service at their Lutheran school). It was very last minute and in front of the whole school. Additionally, it was the first time that they would play together without their harp teacher accompanying them(or even being there). Son was not so hip to the plan, but daughter was excited and I thought it would be a good experience in a friendly environment. It went great. I was so proud of them. Daughter really stepped up and led the songs. It was the first time that I had really seen them work together to make the music sing. If one of them got off, the other was able to bring it back. They actually listened to each other playing and responded accordingly. If you have ever played in a group (especially a duet), you know how important this is. It was like it all came together! I was also impressed with how well they conducted themselves. They had three songs to play (A Mighty Fortress, Amazing Grace, and Canticle of the Turning), but knew that they had to cover a certain period of time. With a lot of poise they knew to keep playing those songs until the Minister signaled to stop. I know this seems obvious to us adults, but I was really happy to see that they handled themselves so well. Yay!

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

I continue to be impressed!