Monday, October 18, 2010

One Mission Accomplished!

One of the big reasons I was excited that Daughter wanted to do German dance is because she is painfully shy. Once she knows you and feels comfortable around you, she is very engaging and talkative. If she is unsure and doesn't know you well, she will barely speak - even if you ask her a direct question. It can takes years to get past this stage. With German dance, you dance with a partner (can't polka alone!) and that partner can change from week to week. Therefore, you get to know a lot of people. All told, there are probably fifteen people in the group. Yesterday, the troop performed at a Catholic Church's Oktoberfest. Daughter was paired with a strong-willed boy. It was so wonderful to see her take the lead and assert herself in doing the dance the correct way and not let her partner lead the wrong way. I was so proud of her! I felt like this was the first time she felt the confidence that I know she has deep down. It was a great moment, and, I hope, she builds on it.



1 comment:

Bridgett said...

(obviously) I love ethnic dance. Good for her!