Monday, November 22, 2010

Politics & Friendships

I have several politically conservative friends. I know this about them and totally respect their views. Do I wish they thought like I do? Sure. But I kind of suspect that they wish the same thing about me. Therefore, I make it a point never to bring up politics around them. I have one friend who usually abides by this, but every once in awhile has to throw in a comment that I just don't agree with. I will say something. Politely, but I still am not going to let it completely slide. I feel everyone has a right to their view and if they are going to express theirs, I will mine. I don't at all feel obligated to agree with them. This happened today on the school parking lot. I could tell my friend was frustrated that I didn't agree with her, but I don't. I tried to change the subject and we left on friendly terms, but as a parting thought she said that maybe we shouldn't talk politics. Touche.

4 comments:

Bridgett said...

And what I don't get is why my conservative friends are always the one making offhand comments (no matter who is in the white house, frankly). I am never the one to make the comment. My liberal friends, when we're in "mixed company" are never the ones to make the comments. Only conservatives. Why are they so angry? I had to put a moratorium on politics at mah jongg. Talk religion all night, no politics.

plaidshoes said...

So agree with your comments, Bridgett! I also wonder where all that anger comes from. Religion is much easier topic!

Rebecca Hecking said...

I live in a fairly conservative community, and have learned to just "not go there" with many parents I encounter at school functions. I've come to realize that I won't change them, and they won't change me, so it's best to just leave it be.

lucidthinking said...

could they really come together??