Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day Shopping

I find it a great shame that so many stores have tried to capitalize on Veteran's Day by promoting huge sales. I realize Veteran's Day is not alone in the "excuse for a sale" holiday, but this one really irritates me. One ad I saw had a picture of a beautiful young women swinging a shopping bag with the words "Happy Veteran's Day" flying over her. Really? This is how we honor all those men and women who have sacrificed so much to protect us? Shopping? I felt like asking this model (yes, I realize paper can't talk back) whether or not she knew anybody in the military. If so, is this the best way to honor them? All the years of hardship, sacrifice, and dedication can be recognized in a 30% off sale. It is just sad. Thankfully, my father never saw combat. He was one of those rare few who joined at the end of the Vietnam war and then retired right before the first Gulf War broke out. We had to sacrifice enough with just that. I can't imagine how hard it is for families where your beloved is gone for year long tour of duties. The fear of whether or not they will come home. The children that have to grow up with one of their parents constantly deployed. War is scary and takes a huge toll on families. I will always advocate for peace but am enough of a realist to know that is not always possible. So THANK YOU to all those who have stepped up and served. You are greatly appreciated and respected.

No comments: