Saturday, April 2, 2011

Be Like Jesus

This past Friday/Saturday, my two older kids went to an event sponsored by the ELCA Lutheran churches in the area. It was a lock-in/service event called Be Like Jesus. As you know, the kids go to a Lutheran school and many of the their friends were attending the event. At first I was a little skeptical. What was really going to happen at this thing? But then I thought, "Jesus was a pretty cool guy. He didn't sit in a church waiting for the world to change. He went out there and did something. He walked the walk." So (with a little hesitation) I said yes. I decided to trust the parents who had chaperoned this before and assured me that it was very well run and service oriented. I then proceeded to worry for the next 24 hours.

The kids are now safe at home, and, sure enough, they had a great time. After a fun Friday night of games and music, they woke up early Saturday and spent all day doing various service projects. They helped clean an elderly persons yard, planted flowers, collected shoes door to door, canvased for canned food at the grocery store, visited a retirement home, and made special pillows for St. Jude's hospitals. Some of the activities were way out of my comfort zone - especially the grocery gleaning and door to door shoe drive. Thankfully, they were well chaperoned and in safe neighborhoods. I also had to remind myself that they were asking for these things for a good cause (for the food bank and to help build clean wells in Africa). Sometimes we do have to put ourselves out there for good causes and get over our reservations and just ask. Most importantly, though, they spent their day doing things to help other people and not sitting at home wishing we were at the City Museum. We could all probably stand to be a little more like Jesus.

5 comments:

Bridgett said...

If nothing else, at least it was ELCA and not other strains of Lutheran....just my bias coming out on that one!

plaidshoes said...

I will join that bias :-). The kids would not be going to the school if it wasn't ELCA affiliated!

Marvin said...

I think it's wonderful that the kids were able to "be like jesus". He apparently was a cool guy. He loved, and gave of himself freely. I'm not a Christian, but am very much PRO doing the right thing. I don't think the name of the example really matters. Kudos to you!

DairyStateDad said...

I'm amazed that there are ELCA affiliated parochial schools at all! Here in the DairyState, the Lutheran schools are all Mo. or Wis. synod, and Wis. Synod is even more conservative than Mo. Synod.

plaidshoes said...

Thanks, Marvin!

DairyStateDad, we are fortunate that there are a few ELCA affiliated schools in the area! Although, I believe it was founded before the split, so that it probably how it started.