Sunday, April 24, 2011

One Crazy Easter

Every year, my father and his wife host a family reunion with all the immediate family. This adds up to around thirty people all staying in one house. It is a lot fun, but can be a bit overwhelming - especially for an introvert like myself. We left Friday for what we thought would be an easy four hour drive. I guess we learned that you should never really take Mother Nature for granted because she can kick your butt when you least expect it.

We left in rain. Never fun, but not a big deal. About an hour in, the rain became a storm. Then hail. Then a white out. Then a full-on stop on the highway. By this time I call my dad and ask what is up. Evidently, the horrible storm caused a pile-up and we were stuck in the ensuing traffic jam. This added an extra hour and half to our drive. By the time we got to the Quad Cities, we were exhausted. No rest for the weary, though. Everyone else had gotten there last night and were headed out to laser tag. After throwing a mini-fit, we all headed out too. The rest of the night was the usual chaos, adult beverages, talent show, and catching up. I went to bed thinking the worse was behind us.

The next morning, I casually check the computer to clear out Facebook (I hate having a billion status' build-up). First thing that pops up is a friend in Iowa asking if we were ok. Strange. Why wouldn't we be ok? A little panic starts in. I immediately check out the St. Louis news websites and discover that tornadoes tore through the northern suburbs (where I live!!!) Friday night. I immediately call my in-laws, who live across the street and are watching our dogs. Thankfully, for us, the tornado hit the suburb next to us and our house is ok. He informs me of all the damage. He also said they were surprised we didn't call last night. I DIDN'T KNOW! There are 30 people in the house, we never turned the TV on. I also immediately thought of all my friends who live in the suburbs that were hit. It appears that they are all ok. I will find out even more on Tuesday. The kid's school draws several families from the affected area. It is just so scary. It has been a horrible year for St. Louis and storms. Unfortunately, we did hear that our basement started flooding again. great. Husband checks the news and sees that more storms are predicted for Sunday. We decide we will leave Iowa early and try to beat them home and get the basement situation under control.

We ended up going to the early Mass. Now a side-note. A lot of Catholics come out of hiding for Easter. We went to the 8.30 service and it was PACKED. We ended up sitting in the very first row. I am fine with this, mostly because then I can see everything and the kids do better. What I failed to realize was that it meant that we had communion first. This then meant that we had to kneel while we waited for everyone else. Remember, there was an over-flow crowd. All I will say is fourteen hours later, my knees are still killing me.

After Mass we packed up and headed home. Thankfully the ride home went smoothly. Just a little rain and we made great time. Unfortunately, our basement is definitely flooded. Husband is wiped out from wet-vac'ing it. The worst is that it is still coming in, so this will be my Monday. Since it is supposed to rain some more, it will also probably be my Tues, Wed, etc. I keep telling myself, at least I still have a roof and power - that is a whole lot better then a lot of people around me. Amazingly, no one was killed or severely injured. To me that is an Easter miracle.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

Glad all went reasonably well weatherwise (sorry about the basement! Floods suck). Funny about kneeling: my knees are sore from all the danged genuflecting at good friday stations of the cross...but we sit after communion!

comment word verification: wings